townoffice@rumfordmaine.net
Preserving our past.......looking forward to our future!


View our pictorial history

View Pictures



Membership Application

GREATER RUMFORD AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY

The fore runner of the present Rumford Historical Society was formed in 1961 under the sponsorship of teachers Louis Thibodeau and Minerva Anderson, and was named The Stephens High School Historical Society. The accession book and the articles collected at that time were presented to the newly formed Rumford Area Historical Society at its organization on March 3, 1970.

The voters at the annual Town Meeting in 1972 granted the property known as Lufkin School in Rumford Center to the Society to be used as a museum. The year 1974 brought the deed to the property from the Town of Rumford and 1974 and 1975 saw the Society’s incorporation as a non-profit organization by the State of Maine and identification number and tax exempt status by the Internal Revenue Service. The Lufkin School Museum opened in 1976 and continues to be open in the summer months, staffed by volunteers. Displays of local artifacts, photos and books, a Country Store exhibit, old tools and more can be seen and enjoyed! The Museum is open during the summer season from the first Saturday in June through the last Saturday in August. The hours for staffing are 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., however, special tours will be provided upon request to the Archives.

Annual Memberships are $10.00 per Individual. Please consider supporting the Historical Society by joining and making a donation. Your tax deductible donation will support ongoing historical preservation and education in the Rumford area.

The business (Archives) office, research center, photographs and historical collections of Rumford are housed in the Town of Rumford’s Town Hall, 145 Congress Street, Rumford, Maine 04276. The rooms are open ever Thursday, year round and staffed by volunteers. Hours of operation are from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and visitors are welcome.


Rumford Historical Society Archives
145 Congress Street, Rumford, Maine 04276
Telephone: 207-364-2540
Email: rhs@gwi.net

Area Historical Museum


Rt. 2 , Rumford,
Maine, 04276
207-364-2540
Email

Open Saturday's

Displays of local artifacts, photos, and books. Country store exhibit, old tools and more!

Lufkin School Museum Exhibits

GREATER RUMFORD AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Books for Sale
• A History of Rumford, Maine, 1774 to 2000 by John Leane. Updated from 1974 to 2000 by Elliot Burns. Easily readable history of Rumford with over 100 pictures. Hard Cover: $27.00 plus $7.00 shipping & handling.

• A Pictorial History of Rumford, Maine, 1770 to 1940 by the Rumford Historical Society. Ninety-seven pages of Rumford history with over 200 pictures with captions. This popular volume is in its second printing. Soft Cover: $21.00 plus $7.00 shipping & handling.

• Rumford Stories: Author: Linda MacGregor. A collection of short stories and photographs about Rumford people from interviews conducted by the author. Soft Cover: $10.00 plus $7.00 shipping and handling.

• The Oxford Story: Author: John Leane. A definitive history of the Oxford Paper Company from 1847 to the late 1980's. Soft Cover: $2.00, Hard Cover: $5.00 plus $7.00 shipping & handling.
OR
Combined Sale of All 4 Books Above: $50.00 plus $12.00 shipping and handling.

• Jonathan Adams Bartlett: Author: Dr. Martin. $10.00 plus $7.00 shipping & handling.

• New Pennacook Folks: Author: Stuart Martin. An excellent history of early Rumford with genealogies of the first families. Hard Cover: $37.00 plus $7.00 shipping & handling.

• Rumford Historical Notecards with envelopes (pkg. of 10) with views of old Rumford. $8.00 plus $7.00 Shipping & Handling.

• Rumford Historical Postcards (pkg. of 6). $2.00 plus $5.00 shipping & handling.

• Historic Rumford Falls, Illustrated Walking Tour by Curtis Rice. $2.00 (if available) plus $5.00 shipping & handling.


Send check or money order to:
Rumford Historical Society
145 Congress Street
Rumford, ME 04276
rhs@gwi.net